Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Few Things I've Learned On The Way...

Well, another Christmas has come and gone, and as the new year approaches I can't help but think back at how much my life has changed in the past three years.  I have had two beautiful children, got engaged to the most wonderful man I could imagine, finally started my college education, and moved into a house that I can call my own.  If someone would've told me three years ago that I would be in this situation today I would've laughed and told them they were crazy.  It's funny how life surprises you, and what a positive attitude and some hard work can bring to your life.  We received some pretty bad news a couple of days ago and all I can think about is how lucky I am to have my family and people in my life that care, and how no moment should be taken for granted.  It seems like so many people have things handed to them in their life and don't understand what they have until it's gone.  I'm not talking about materialistic things either cause let's just face it, a person can buy whatever they want but it's not going to bring them happiness.  What I'm referring to is healthy children, a family that loves you, things that can't be bought.  People that are in your life because they want to be, not because they have to be.  And what I've learned throughout this whole healing process is that life doesn't stop because you are having a bad moment, so neither should you.  It is okay to be sad but don't dwell on the things that you can't change, and most importantly, take the negativity in your life and put it to positive use by being thankful for what you have and realizing that at any moment it could be taken away from you.  Cherish every moment and never live with regret.

2 comments:

  1. What a great up lifting blog, every word you wrote is so true! My daughter-in-law just had a funeral yesterday for her step sister who was just 22 years old, she had been ill for a while and lost her battle the day before Christmas Eve. Life can be so short, my heart just hurt for her parents, so I totally understand what you are trying to tell us. Glad to hear you had a great Christmas and I hope you have even a greater New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is true. Lots of people take a majority of things for granted. My fiancĂ© works out of town most of the time. The only holiday out of the year I get to see him or spend any time with him is Christmas, and he is only here for 5 days. I cherish the time I get with him because I don’t get to see him very much. He works anywhere from 6-12 weeks on and then comes home for 5-6 days off. I'm not going to lie its very hard, but I have our daughter to help me get through every day.
    Personally I think its good when people bring up how others take others for granted. I know the more I say it around my family, the more they start to change the way the act towards other. It's only for a short period of time though. I am so very sorry for your loss and I hope things get better for you.

    ReplyDelete